Saint Louis University's Division of Diversity and Innovative Community Engagement will provide funding of $500 to $1,000 to host prominent speakers, presenters, or performers. Funding will supplement what each unit or units commit towards the speaker’s visit.
The speaker’s activities will be fully determined by the host unit(s). Speakers’ lecture and activities are expected to be listed as part of the Diversity Speaker Series. Applications from all academic departments and programs will be considered. Collaborative and joint proposals are encouraged. The division expects to fund $2,000 per semester.
Speakers must fall under one or both of these categories:
- Address issues of diversity, equity, inclusion or multiculturalism in the context of a given discipline or group of disciplines.
- Belong to a group that is underrepresented in that discipline, regardless of the topic of the talk
It is expected that speakers have time assigned to meet with undergraduate and/or graduate students.
The completed request (not to exceed two pages--not including the speaker's CV) should be sent electronically in a single file to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying the following:
- Email Subject: “Diversity Speaker Series Grant: “academic unit(s)”
- Host name(s), affiliated department(s), and contact information
- Name, affiliation and area of invited speaker
- Target date for visit
- Short description of speaker’s accomplishments, include CV and/or URL
- Short description of the diversity/multicultural dimension of the speaker
- Short description of activities, including importance of visit and benefit to other units
- Estimated budget, including other funding sources
Selection criteria include the following:
- Relevance of lecture (and other planned activities) to diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives at SLU
- Prominence of speaker
- Relevance of speaker as a role-model in his or her discipline
- Distribution of speakers across disciplinary areas
- Other sources of support